Screenwriting, Filmmaking, Life

-------------

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sea West Lounge

I used to be a lounge lizard. Hanging out in the lounge made me feel, on some strange planet, part of the "in crowd". I was with it. I was happening. In actuality I was sitting in a dark room, on who-knows-whose filth, drinking my face off. It has been nearly 30 years since I did that, since I felt that way, until today.

Today, I feel again that I am part of the in crowd. I'm in the lounge, but it's not dark at all, and nobody's drinking - not alcohol anyway. There's Starbucks, and specialty teas, cheese, and almonds, juice, cakes and cookies. There's a flat fee for all this at the door. This bit of heaven, this quiet haven away from the three tours of pre-teens on board, away from boistrous party groups, away from crying children and spilled soft drinks.

This is the latest service offered by BC Ferries on the larger ships between Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island and Tsawwassen on the lower mainland. They call it the Sea West Lounge, and signage at the door warns against loud conversation and boisterous behavior. I don't believe I've spent a better ten dollars in my whole life!

Plus, I'm here with the business people, with the singles who don't want to be shuffled along with the crowd, with the quiet ones, and today that's a beautiful thing. And I'm on my way. This ferry crossing begins a two week vacation that I truly need. This two week vacation contains my Hollywood meetings. This is what I've been working towards, and I feel ready. My attitude is good. I just need some rest, and there is time for that. Clever woman that I am, I worked that into the plan. Stay tuned, Gentle Reader, we're getting close now!

No comments:

Post a Comment