Screenwriting, Filmmaking, Life

-------------

Monday, May 31, 2010

Today's High Spots

An appointment with my agent for lunch tomorrow is a high point. One of my friends called it "hoidy-toidy". I must admit it ALWAYS feels good to say I have an agent, but when it happens, or how it happens is just as plain and ordinary as a cheese sandwich. I was writing with Alex at the time, and he had met these wonderful people before at an international conference in Banff, Alberta.

Against his better judgement, I'm sure, he took me along to this conference and here was the couple from LA that represent talent "behind the camera". "That's us," I thought. What I knew about the film industry at the time wouldn't have filled a thimble. So, when introduced, I asked what they did, and when they told me, I said, "Oh, great - we need one of those!" They were speachless with my bold advance, I was blissfully unaware, and finally the female in this partnership said, "I'll read something, then. But you have to send it. I'm not carrying it home." Hurray. Agent...check! And there it was.

In the end, it's just like you hear over and over again in the industry. Is this person someone I want to work with? When the answer is yes on both sides, magic can happen. So tomorrow is lunch with friends, really. The new bit for me is that a third party is invited along tomorrow. Interesting...

When I got out, I ate in a 50's diner with actual juke boxes at the tables, I checked out a shoe store the size of New York City (no lie) and enjoyed this street performer. This, and young people spinning on their backs on the stars of Hollywood Blvd., plus movie characters wandering around makes you realize you're in Tinsel Town. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment