Screenwriting, Filmmaking, Life

-------------

Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 3 - Bingo!

This 3-day event has come to a close on the best possible high note! The last thing this afternoon was a pitching session, where we got to tell three producers about our scripts, and get feedback on the pitch itself. The last one our table got to speak with was a woman who works on budgets under $2 million. We all went around. She said my story was compelling, and I said it was doable for that budget, and that was it - she was on to the next writer. At the end she talked a bit in general and slid in this sentence so quietly I wasn't sure I'd heard it. "I'd like to read your (motioning towards me) script, because I worked as a journalist in the past, I have a child, and I can identify with a small town. I like this."

Blink.

What'd she say? Did she say what I think she said?

Yes she did! BIG GRIN.

I was the only one who got asked on the spot. (She said, humbly.)

Every other producer we met except one took our one-sheets with them, and most of the script requests will come from that, so I don't know what else will come up for me. There will be lots for the others in the class, that's for sure. There are tons of good projects.

Gary says that this gal makes a lot of movies, so that sounds pretty cool to me. She said she sometimes partners with writers (which I think means there won't be money until it makes some, I'm not sure). It doesn't matter. A LOT of these people have just said, Get something MADE and you'll have a lot more luck going in.

She could change her mind as soon as she reads the one-sheet for all we know, so it's one of those mini-successes that we take a moment to celebrate and then move on. Also it means I'll be writing my ass off when I get home, as the script is not ready.

Two fellow writers offered straight away to read it for me, which is awesome. There is so much support in this group. I'm so happy, I just may go out and buy a purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment