Screenwriting, Filmmaking, Life

-------------

Friday, April 16, 2010

The Six-Month-Course + Pitchfest

Yes, I did it. I signed up for six months of every-day homework...(well, there were a few breaks where students critiqued each other's work. But overall it was a busy six months, and fun, and challenging, and some of it was downright hard.

Did I learn? Yes! I learned so many new techniques, and gained so much information about what makes a script sell, that I wondered why I ever thought I could write a script before. Really!

At the end of the course, there was a PitchFest in Vancouver, and I thought I'd take a few ideas out for a spin. Mostly I have product left from when Alex and I worked together. That's Alexander Kirkwood, a retired US airforce pilot with three degrees - one in directing. Alex was the one who first introduced me to screenwriting. We worked together for many years, and there is a lot of projects to show for that time together. Knowing what I know now, and re-reading some, I was able to just toss them. Others I offered up at the Pitchfest, as it would bring me much joy to see on onscreen credit for Alex's family. We lost him to cancer.

The thing about taking ideas out for spin is that some of them might be liked. One US production company rep actually talked enough about the romantic comedy that I got some great direction for the re-write. It interested him, and he said he'd like to read it once I re-write.That's great because I wouldn't want him to read the current version anyway.

In addition, I am quite busy enough.

The other project that got some attention is a 1/2 hour family show. Omni would like to see it. But there's work to do. They want me to bring along partners, and maybe even some talent. Yikes! I cannot drop this ball, and yet there is a see-saw of comings and goings in terms of progress. Ever onward, no nmatter what. I will not fail to submit.

So, that brings us to early March 2010, the end of Pitchfest. I have my work cut out for me, so away I go, right? No, not quite. There is another opportunity not to be missed. I'll be going to L.A. in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment